Skip to main content

Post-Boston

Design by Derek Cernak

I finished my first Boston marathon two weeks ago. A prestige, perhaps the most well-known marathon in the world. The marathon itself was great and the crowd support was unparalleled to anything I had experienced. I suffered the last couple miles and was reduced to a walk multiple times during the last two miles. While I wasn't happy about that, I could honestly say I had left everything on the course. The four-months journey, as mentioned in the last post, was great. Frankly, even more memorable than the race itself. 

An hour after I crossed the finis line was when everything changed. By the time I walked through the shoot to get my medal, space blanket, food, and drop bag, I was almost at my hotel. I waited in the room for my friends, Emily and Anji to come back. And they did. Not too long after their return, we started hearing sirens and that was when Anji got a phone call. She picked up and I heard, "What!?" My heart sank. That didn't sound good and I was right.

Something this sinister and tragic is difficult to comprehend. Shortly after we, as well as the whole world, got the news. SMS, facebook posts, and messages came flooding in from our caring friends and family. Just as we thought we had accounted the safety for everyone we knew, we realized we were wrong. I had no words.

I read an article a couple days afterwards about why the marathon still matters and that our finishes still matter despite the tragedy. I understand the point of view, but I don't feel that way. People have lost their lives and their legs in the bombing. It's not because I didn't feel right to celebrate a marathon finish and a 5-minute PR, I just couldn't find the joy to be celebrating. To all my friends who genuinely congratulated me, all I could mustered was an indifferent "thank you." Was that sadness? Maybe. I felt hallowed.

Run Your Heart for Boston (Photo by: Chris Page)
The Charlotte running community was as shocked as I was. Rob asked me if we could host an unsanctioned race to raise funds for the Gross family.  Of course we could. I did my usual thing in creating a Facebook event and support came in overwhelmingly. First was Vac and Dash who printed all our shirt, then came Davidson Timing. Then Charlotte Running Club, plus many more. If two men decided to use their free will to do something evil, the running community had shown me we could also response with our free will to do good. I'm thankful for that. Rob's idea eventually became a gathering of 300+ runners with over $17,000 raised. None of us could have done it alone, but together we did it. 

Strangely, I felt a bit of closure after today, though I know this is only the beginning for the Gross family. I also know our effort and support won't stop after today. I'm a firm believer that God could turn a curse into a blessing, and I pray that He would.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I