Skip to main content

Pre-Boston Thoughts

Over the past few months of training for Boston, I've learned a lot about running, training, and racing. It's not my first time running a marathon, obviously, but it's my first time to "properly" train for one. By properly I mean having a plan, following a plan, and sticking to each specific workouts like intervals, tempo, long, and recovery runs. As I'm writing this (4.10), the result of my training is unknown. What I do know is that it has been a wonderful journey with equally wonderful people. I've learned to be (somewhat) disciplined, to run with less fear, and to trust my coach. Let me unpack each one.

Jamey Yon
CONSISTENCY
It all begins with having Jamey Yon as my coach. He's a former pro, a humble athlete with tremendous talent and achievement, hardworking, a father of five, a faithful Christian, a knowledgeable and caring coach...all in all a great human being. When he started to write my training plan for Boston, the first thing he said was, "You need consistency." Knowing that it's always been something I lack, I took it to heart. Since January, I started dragging myself out of bed at 4:30 a.m. to run with the TRi-Yon Team in Freedom Park area every Monday and Wednesday. Getting up never gets easier, especially in 27-degree weather. But gradually, seeing the team becomes a habit of mine and these 5:30 a.m. workouts become something I look forward to.  I'm especially thankful for a couple of people that I get to know more and I love chasing them around. Though I think I'm going to revert back to winging my training after Boston - at least for a short period of time - this bit of consistency/discipline is something I'd preserve. 

FEAR
I hate speed work; but it'd be more appropriate to say that I am afraid of running uncomfortable. As humans, it's our tendency to avoid pain and pursue pleasure. (Yes, I'm blaming it on simply being human.) I've read that our brain tells us to stay still out of self-preservation, which explains our laziness. Running and running hard defy that. I've grown to appreciate intervals and threshold runs a little more now with the TY team who suffers with me and pushes me. There are moments I remember distinctly that I have to tell myself not to fear the forthcoming agony and let my legs go without limiting myself within the comfortable zone. I call it finding peace in the midst of agony. C'est la vie.

Beside the fear of being uncomfortable, there's a deeper fear that I've come to face. I am afraid of disappointment. What if my fast is not fast enough? What if I couldn't run what I think I could?  And what my coach thinks I could? Sometimes it paralyzes me to even having a goal. This, I'm still learning... With that said, I haven't commit myself to a time at Boston though I have some expectations. The thought of pushing my pace (even a little) for 26.2 miles turns my stomach. "Grow into the workout," Jamey likes to tell us. I'll let myself go by how I feel and hopefully "grow into" the race. 

TRUST
Lastly, trusting my coach and the training we've put into the race. There are so many variables at a race and I could only put my faith into the fact that my training so far will bring me through the miles. I'm relatively new to running and could only trust someone more knowledgeable, who is my coach Jamey. Ultimately, I trust the Coach up there who has gifted me (and us) an amazing body to do incredible things. Sometimes I feel that chasing after a time is vanity, but not if it is a celebration and testimony to virtues, discipline, and His creation. He deserves all the glory.

T-3 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I