Skip to main content

Reflection after Black Mountain and Umstead Marathon

A day after Umstead Marathon, I was stranded at CLT due to flight cancellations and delays. It is only going to be a short trip - which is even shorter now - to renew my work visa. Without my laptop and so much time to burn, I browsed through and caught up in my reading of Runner’s World, Backpackers, and Outdoor. Time didn’t look interesting. I didn’t see the New Yorker. Then, the Harvard Business Journal caught my eyes with bright yellow letters: Work vs Life. While I am sad that we compartmentalize work and consider the rest of our lives outside of work...life, I admit that I struggle with the same thing. We all know the looming fear of Monday after an epic weekend spent with friends, on trails, in a cabin, by the fire, up in the mountains. And when Monday eventually comes…

In the article, Harvard business students survey over 4,000 executives in regards to their work/life balance and draw conclusions from almost five years' worth of interviews. The key to such balance? Make deliberate choices. And the first choice you have to make is to define your own success.
Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. (Philippians 3:8)
The Apostle Paul’s success is found in knowing Christ. After all, “Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever.” There are many means to this end, whether at work or at play. This has me revisiting my definition of success in life, work, and play (read: running).

After not being able to run much in both January and February due to shin and calf issues, I miraculously ran two marathons on back-to-back weekends. These two marathons wouldn't be considered as a success a couple months ago when I was running better without hinderance and injuries. But for now, they are great successes because (1) I plodded through them. (2) I got to spent several hours enjoying the beautiful trails with great company, and also some much needed solitude at times. (3) I am thankful and am mindful that running is a gift. Despite how I feel about my “performance,” I couldn’t help but speculate that God considers these greater success than my other PRs when I neglected all the above.

Sometimes I think God takes away things from us for a good reason, namely for our well-being and character that matter more than our desires. My desire might be becoming faster, but that’s an elusive goal. What often follows is I overtrain, I don’t rest enough, and I end up with injuries that set me back. As frustrating as it sounds, sometimes I'm also thankful about it. It reminds me that speed doesn't last. It wakes me up from building my life around running. It rescues me from letting running be my idol. It onces again teaches me that running for me is about becoming a better person, a better employee, a better friend, not just a better/faster runner. Obviously, I, not God, inflict these injuries on myself, but I often find healing when I finally let my desires and pride go. Do I still want to gain speed? Yes! But I want to do it with the right heart and a humble spirit.

At any rate, I had a lot of fun the past two weekends. I don't know what this season holds, but I'm looking forward to every adventure that God brings me on, the people I get to share the journey with, and the lesson He wants to teach me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I