Skip to main content

JFK 50 Mile

After months of preparation, JFK 50 came and gone. In addition to it being only my second 50-miler, this race is unlike any other which I've done. First of all, JFK is old - the oldest in the States. “In 1962, President John F. Kennedy (JFK) was concerned about the fitness of the nation and got the idea for a 50 mile (80 km) hike from an 1908 Executive Order of then President Theodore Roosevelt, that tested the fitness of U.S. Marine officers by marching 50 miles. In turn, President JFK coyly challenged his staff to hike 50 miles in a day.”

"The need for increased attention to physical fitness is clearly established. The Government cannot compel us to act, but freedom demands it. A nation is merely a sum of all its citizens, and its strength, energy and resourcefulness can be no greater than theirs." - John F. Kennedy

Many of these challenges in different parts of the States ceased after the assassination of JFK, but this one in Maryland “changed it's name from the JFK 50 Mile Challenge to the JFK 50 Mile Memorial in 1964” and kept going.

Secondly, JFK is also big. I have never seen 1000+ runners at an ultra race. I believe the course made this possible. Unlike Leadville 100 with 750 runners, which received a lot of negative feedback in the past two years for congestion on trails, JFK started with two miles of road before getting on the Appalachian Trail and only stayed on the trail for 15 miles. Runners then take the wide Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (C&O Canal) towpath, which parallels the Potomac River, for the next 26.3 miles. Finally, runners finish up on some rolling hills back into town.

All is all, JFK 50 is unique in its historicity, field size, and its variety of terrains -- reasons which led me to registering.

I drove up the Maryland on Friday for packet pick-up. Upon entering the hotel lobby, I found myself in a mini-expo! Hokas was there to demo shoes. Vendors were there selling JFK apparels and accessories, as well as other running gears. For the short time that I lingered, I saw many veterans -- bumper stickers, shirts, jackets, and patches. Tomorrow I’d find out what kept them coming back.

Race started on Nov 23 at 7 a.m. (except for a group of about 100 runners who applied and started at 5 a.m.). I positioned myself with 30-40 runners in front of me, though I knew I wasn't fast. However, I also knew I had to get in a good position to avoid being held up in a bottleneck when we got onto the A.T. The first two miles go continuously up, only vary in degrees. We got onto the A.T. and it continued to go up. The first 5.5 miles of the race gained 1,172’ in elevation. Once we reached the top, steep grade was replaced with gentler grades and a lot more rocks.

This section of the A.T. was beautiful. Though technical, most of the trail was wider than the usual single-tracks, allowing runners to pass more easily. About a dozen runners passed me during the next 15 miles, which I had expected. Megan Hovis, who ran the race last year (in 7:20!) and had written my training plan for this race, advised me to take this section fairly easy and save my legs. I followed her advice and just soaked in all the scenery as much as I could, knowing I’d be staring down a flat towpath in the next section of the race.

At about mile 14.5, the trail transitioned into a steep downhill switch-back, which dropped a 1,000’ in a fraction of a mile. Once on the ground, we continued on the C&O Canal towpath. Oh, the section which I had been dreading. As it turned out, it was long...but wasn't that bad. After finding out in a few occasions that looking up would only bring anxiety and desperation, I kept my head down for the majority of it.

“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.”  (Matthew 6:34)

This scripture pretty much carried me through this section. Doing all that math of how many miles I still had to run did nothing. Worrying about how I were to get through them did nothing. Even trying to distract myself did nothing. However, remembering that I only had to be faithful at each step and the miles would take care of themselves brought peace. I felt as if I was lighter at the thought of that. From then on, I ran from aid station to aid station, even lost track of mileage at one point. It did get tougher and tougher as the miles wore on me, and the lure of stopping and taking walk breaks even between aid stations became louder and louder. I passed some, but also got passed by a few. All that was irrelevant, I was just happy to be there and running.

At mile 31, I remembered how Veteran Tom Patch had told me the sense of relief he felt having passed a major milestone. At Mile-38 aid station, I remembered the sweet potatoes a gentleman had mentioned earlier (though I saw none!). Then, at Mile 41, a turn sign came into sight. The end of (seemingly) endless towpath!

Volunteers signalled me to turn onto the road and the rolling hills began. Here, I finally gave in and took walk breaks even between aid stations. Two or three runners who had more left in their legs than I did passed me. All of whom I had leap-frogged the whole race. As big as this race was, I only crossed path with a handful of runners, and had chatted with maybe three of them. “Less than an hour of running,” said a runner whose blue shirt had become a familiar sight, “You got this!” I believed I knew that, too, unfortunately. My mind was at the finish before my body was. More than ever, I wanted to stop. More frequent than ever, I told myself to keep being faithful and keep moving forward. Finally, after two or three other aid stations, the finish was in sight. I pushed, but my legs weren't following. I pushed anyway, till I crossed the finish line. After 8:00:29 of running, I could finally stop. Someone walked up with a big smile to put a medal on me. The race director came up and shook my hand. “You've cracked the top 10. You are our 10th female finisher. Congratulations!” Needless to say, I was shocked, pleasantly so.

After standing around for a couple minutes, chatting with a few runners, and letting my my mind to clear up, I headed towards the school where post-race food, drop bags, and awards were. I made it to the dining hall, saw the benches and sat down. For the next 15 minutes, I just sat there. I sat and sat till my body felt better, good enough to get up and crawl to get my dropbag. At the award about an hour and a half later, my name was called. I got my trophy, stood in front of a roomful of people, and tried to smile. It was a little...awkward, but in a good way.

In the season of thanksgiving, I have so much to be thankful for. But as my friend, Kevin Childs, has reminded me, “to Whom I am thankful > for what I am thankful.” I am grateful and thankful to the One who gives me so much more than I deserve, who walks with me at all times, and who only asks me to be faithful with what has been given.


Popular posts from this blog


Three days after my first 50 miler, the OSS/CIA 50M held at Prince William Forest Park, my legs are feeling great while my body is still catching up in recovery. The funny thing is, even though I ran almost twice the distance of a marathon, I felt much better than how I was after my last two road marathons. The slower pace and the softness of trails is much more forgiving than the hard pounding on asphalt/concrete. I was even able to run a couple easy miles to test my legs yesterday.
The OSS/CIA 50M Night Run by Athletic Equation was held at Prince William Forest Park in Dumries, VA, about 1.5 hour north of Richmond. Two things lured me into signing up for my first miler: One is obviously to get at least one 50-miler in before my attempt at the WV Trilogy this fall. Two is the location of the run. The Park is the birth place of OSS, the predecessor to CIA in the 1930s. On the brink of war, U.S. intelligence operations needed a centralized effort. In response to the need, a team of un…

24 Things about Hinson Lake 24-Hr Ultra

Here are things that went through my mind during the 24-hour run, somewhat chronologically:
"I get a decal, a glass, and a shirt!?" "Where's Peter?" Peter came the night before and set up camps. Sometimes I think he's gifted with 48 hours a day."Wow. People actually do plan to run the whole duration.""Mt. Hinson?" There's a section of the course with a slight incline. I'm sure it's a fitting name at some point approaching 100 miles. I didn't give myself a chance to find out."Haha" - upon hearing someone telling Sharon and I that we are on pace for women's 24-Hour American Record at mile 3."Maybe I should switch to my hybrid shoes." And I did. After the first 13 miles, I switched from my Altra road shoes to the Inov-8 TerraFly for a little more tread."25.84 miles? Eh, so close." 17 laps on the 1.52-mile loop - not quite a marathon."30.4 miles? Eh, another lap to make it a 50k."&q…

WV Trilogy - Part 1

My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results.

Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it.

(Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm - 
In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has for me and remember that I'…