Skip to main content

Vac & Dash Moonlight Half

Talk about creativity. If selling vacuum supplies and running supplies in one store is not creative for you, how about watching a drive-in theater movie and running a half marathon? Well, Peter Asciutto from Vac & Dash in Albermarle has made it happen last night.

Peter and I
The Moonlight Half Marathon & Movie starts and finishes at Badin Drive-In. Race packet pick up began at 7 p.m. and the first two movies began showing at dark. Since the race was going to start at 10:30, I didn't get there till 9:45. Most people were already there and the Hunger Games just started playing. I heard Katniss screamed, "I volunteer! I volunteer!" as I drove in. Have I not seen the movie already, I might have just stayed in my car and watched it instead.

At check-in, Peter recognized me from the Idiot Run and came up to greet me. This was only the second time meeting Peter in person, but from our brief conversations and correspondence, and having followed Vac & Dash's news and events in the past year, it was like meeting an old friend. Peter is truly an inspiration and a linchpin of the local running community.

At 10:15pm, Peter gathered all of us for briefing. He made it clear that we were all guinea pigs at this inaugural event. His major concern was traffic. Fortunately at this time of night, the roads were mostly clearly, especially on Morrow Mountain Road where the majority of the race was. The course is almost identical to the Fellowship of the Idiot Run, a 19.7 mile run to the summit of Morrow Mountain. Knowing that, I mentally prepared myself to run a lot of rolling hills and gradual uphills for the majority of the first half, then some steep hills to the top of the Morrow Mountain, and coming back down to meet the rolling and graduate hills again. Since this was my last long run before Blue Ridge Marathon next week, I took it pretty easy. Recently, I've learned that regulating and controlling my heart rate is the most important thing in running uphill. It allows me to run longer, smoother, and frankly, less painful. This was the perfect time and place to put it into practice.

Aside from the first two to three minutes, we were all spread out on the course. I was glad to have two people in sight for all of the first half, ensuring that I was on the course and was not completely alone in the dark. Going uphills, I like putting my head down and just work at it one step at a time. As the road became flat and downhill again, I'd look up and see where I was at. Several times, I was surprised to find out I had closed the gap. However, that didn't last long because they'd leave me in the dust going downhill again.  Tempting as it was, I didn't try chasing them down and just kept running at a comfortable pace. Three water stops and 50 minutes later, I've reached the top and the turn-around-point. This time, I had caught up with one of the runners in front of me for real!


After the turning point, it's all about coming home. If the first half of the race was physically challenging, the second half was mentally challenging. It was as if my body thought that the run was over, which made even 6.5 mile seem long. Moreover, the second half wasn't without its challenges. "Faithfulness is a long obedience in the same direction," I kept reminding myself.

By the time I finished the race, The Hunger Games was over. But the whole volunteer crew and Peter were there to welcome us in. As I ran through the cones, a volunteer handed me a medal with the fun event graphic which I love. Another job well done, Vac & Dash!

The last runner came in at around two and a half hour -- a lady with multiple sclerosis. How inspiring is that? It's difficult to explain why I love running. But stories like this and races as such have a lot to do with it. They keep running fun, meaningful, and life changing.

Second place finish and my trophy.
Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope... (Romans 5:3-5 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I