Skip to main content

Post-ATB

6118 participants ran the 118th Around the Bay 30K, not counting walkers who started an hour earlier and relay teams. This is a race where there are constantly runners around me, either passing me or passed by me. Not only that, spectators and volunteers lined up almost throughout the course, except on sections where only vehicles were allowed. Hamiltonians go out of their ways to support us: putting up signs, cheering, setting up unsanctioned water stations, handing out orange slices, high-fives, live music...Although Hamilton is known for its poverty and brokenness, I've came to know and experience the most generous and loving people in this city.

I arrived and parked with well over an hour to spare only to find that I'm not as early as I thought. Copps Coliseum was packed already. Two of my friends, Christine and Julie from Runner's Den were running it as well and I met up with them at the 55 section, our usual spot for ATB. I still remember my first run with them as a new runner and that 10k Dundas loop we ran almost killed me. I dreaded that loop and Julie reminded me about it. A little over 9 a.m., we proceeded towards the start line. I wanted to find the 2:45 pace bunny but only found the 2:30. I was hoping I could keep up with it for awhile but it vanished within the first 2k and I had not seen it again.

Reading people's recap of their races always amazes me. How do they remember so much and I can't? Now I can tell you that it's because I look at the ground while running 90% of the time. Despite running in the city where I've spent two years of my life, I found myself looking up occasionally and lost track of where I was. Friends asked me about the route we took and I drew a blank, except for the fact that we were in Burlington at one point and we ran around the bay (duh). I did, however, keep track of the distance I ran. My Garmin helped, of course, but what really helped were these fast runners who zoom passed me all of a sudden at several points during the race. The first one was around the 10k mark. It took me a couple minutes to realize they were in relay teams. If I had paid more attention, I should also have noticed that they wore a bib that said "relay" on their backs. Details. I fought hard not to pick up their pace. Then Mother Teresa entered with her quote (paraphrase): "It's never about you and them anyway. It's about you and Him." At that thought, I relaxed and refocused to run the best pace I can at this point in the race. It's all for Him and I know He only wants my best, not my time compare to others.

A perk of running in my own town is the familiar faces I get to see on the course. New Hope Church volunteered at one of the water stations and I got to see Jess with her kids. Sandra was cheering and waiting for her husband who's running it for the 22nd consecutive year. Lexi and Jenni whom I used to run with were at the last stretch, relieved me briefly from concentrating on the discomfort I was experiencing. Perhaps there were more, but these were the ones who called my name and caused me to look up, turned around, and waved. Moments like these made me love the race all the more.

Based on the most recent half marathon time (Corporate Cup), the McMillan calculator predicts my 30k should be around an 8:15 pace. Jamey said I could start with 8 and dial in from there. If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't attempt going faster than an 8:15 pace early in the race and finished with an 8:06 average. Thanks, Jamey! The last three miles were hard, especially because that's where the steepest hill was at. We are no stranger to that hill since we used to do it in training runs, but we don't usually run 15 miles before that in race pace either. Compare the elevation gain between ATB and Corporate Cup, Corporate Cup actually has more climbs but they are spread throughout the course while all of the hills at ATB are within the last six miles and they are steep. Runners drop like flies during this last third of the race. I tried to imagine what it'd be like doing Blue Ridge Marathon in a month only with five times the hills. Awful thought.

What awaited us after that last hill was about 2-3 miles of a straight, long, boring road. We could see Copps Coliseum about 1.5 miles out but that last stretch was just mentally and physically tough. I kept my head down, trying to keep my rhythm and pace, but looking up had proven to be a disappointment. Copps didn't look any closer at all although it's not true. I finally made it to the Coliseum, made a run onto the blue carpet into the stadium and relieved that I could stop running after 2:31:43. It's all good.

The rest of the Sunday was as good as the race (after it finished). Jacqueline and I sat down, had coffee and a long conversation about anything and everything. We walked back to school to see some friends, which reminded me how much I miss school. Being in school is like living in a time capsule. A lot has changed but it feels otherwise. It's no doubt my happy place.

Comments

  1. great race, Phyllis! you probably run too fast to keep detailed thoughts about the race in your head for your recaps. it's easier to remember things when you're plodding along more slowly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I