20120320

Around the Bay 30k

This weekend marks my two year run-racing anniversary. Two years ago, I took a last minute plunge - after only two months of running - in buying a 30k race bib from an injured runner. Toeing the line at Around the Bay 30K in Hamilton, ON, I was uncertain whether I'd be able to finish because the longest I had ever ran was 18k. My memory of the actual race is a blur. I remember running with my friend, Christine the whole way and somehow after 3+ hours I finished. I remember crossing the finish line in Copps Coliseum, a volunteer putting a medal on me, and sitting on the floor never felt so good. We sat there for a long, long time. Since then I've done marathons and 50ks but I'll never forget how I felt finishing my first 30k.  It's only truly exhilarating when you finish something without knowing that you can. I miss that. DNF are three daunting letters that impede me from even trying sometimes. This weekend, I am flying home to run the ATB again. Words cannot explain how stoked I am to run the race and to run it with my friends who got me hooked in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment