Skip to main content

Healing

Today marks the one-week anniversary of my trail tumble during which I torn my my shoulder and the peroneal longus tendon/muscle and put me out of commission. Taking away running and swimming is a painful thing, especially when these two things account for the biggest chunk of my time aside from sleeping and working. Other than feeling like a depleted balloon for the next two days after the fall, I wondered if God was trying to get my attention and teach me something. Like a loving parent, sometimes He does withhold something we care deeply for our sake. Maybe I've (once again) put too much emphasis of my life in physical training rather than spiritual?

As I pray for my own healing, I thought about Jesus' miracles in the New Testament. My favorite healing story is found in Luke 5. Jesus was preaching in a fully packed house while a group of friends tried to deliver their paralytic friend to Jesus. "Finding no way to bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles..." That's probably not something one would do unless s/he is absolutely certain that it is going to work and Jesus really has to power to heal. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to him, "Man, your sins are forgiven you" (Luke 5:19). Sin? Puzzling, right? Jesus unpacked it by explaining so "...you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Luke 5:24). The man rose up immediately, picked up what he had been lying on and went home, glorifying God.
Whether my mishap is directly related to my personal sins, I think there's always a lesson to be learned since God is sovereign in all things. The time-out I had from not being able to run in the last couple days gave me room to evaluate and re-align my life. Borrowing from Jeremy Lin who quoted from John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life, what I need to strive for is to "display His supreme excellence in all the spheres of life," and be careful not to replace the Creator with creation (running, swimming, work, or what have you).

Earlier today, I was back at the pool and were able to do some freestyle (though not entirely pain free). It was nice to feel my arm pulling through the water once again and with full appreciation that it is no small miracle.

"Pick up your bed and sin no more."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I