Skip to main content

Holiday Hoot + EPIC 24-hr

Let me being my recap of the weekend with a confession. I missed worship on Sunday. No excuse. I did, however, spent some qualify time in the beautiful nature He designed. We are in third week of Advent!

Saturday was the Holiday Hoot, my first ever swim meet. Captain Kirk (my personal adviser) encouraged me to try three events: 50 fly, 500 free, and 200 IM. Going into the meet, I was mostly nervous about about the IM -- all the start, turns, and transitions. I wasn't worried much about finishing last, but was much worried about getting disqualified for missing a touch, swim an extra stroke before my turn, or an extra kick here and there. I've heard from others that Coach Patty is notorious for putting some last minute relays together. At the deck, moments before the start of 200 free relay, I heard my name being called. Perhaps that was a good thing because it didn't leave me too much time to think or be nervous. I barely had the time to put my cap and goggles on, step on the block and dive. In all honesty, that 50 free did shake most of my nervousness away. Following right after that was the 50 fly. I clocked a 46.51 (WR is 22.43). 

Next came the 500 Free. "200 warm up, 100 transition, 200 build," that's what I told myself. I came in at 8:53.01. Captain Kirk was writing all my splits down. The first 200 was around 52 secs for each 50s, and down to a 46 for my last 50. He said I shouldn't have "so much gas left in the tank." I've always known myself to be a conservative runner. I guess that's carried into my swimming, too. Last event was 200IM and how I wished I had more left in the tank. I finished in 3:33.50, didn't get disqualified, but I have a lot to work on.  Shout out to Coach Patty who did a stellar job in organizing and directing the event.

Here's the only picture I could find of myself in the meet:

After the meet which concluded at around 5:30 p.m., I began my drive to Croft State Park, where Epic 24-hr was held and where my friends had been running at for seven hours. By the time I arrived, Jim, Josh, Jessica, Nicole, and Kate had already covered anywhere from a marathon to a 50k. Patrick, Beckie, and Rob were still on the course on a mission towards 60 miles. Dark and cold, I began running at past 8:30. Navigating the course was difficult initially, but it was well marked. I could at least say I wasn't lost or off course at all. Footing at some rooty and rocky areas were tricky, but doing the first two loops with Patrick, Beckie, and Rob helped me to familiarize myself with it. After doing two or three loops with them, I ventured on by myself. 

The three-mile-loop course looks like a figure-8 loop on a map, but the way we ran it is closer to a mirrored-3 and a 3 shape. At night, I liked the first half (mirrored-3) more because it was more runnable. However, when I ran it again in the morning and was able to see the trail in daylight, the second half was much more fun with more technical trails and switchbacks.

The sound from the stream was welcoming at night, especially at the second half because it signaled the final stretch of the loop. In the morning, I was finally able to see the beauty of it.




After running six loops in the dark, I called it a night and retreated to get some sleep. Falling asleep wasn't easy in the cold but I managed to somehow. At around 8 a.m., I decided that it's better to run and be warm than shivering in the cold. With around 20 minutes to spare before 10 a.m., I ran four more laps and finished with 10 loops for the run. Patrick, Rob, Beckie, and Nicole have all put in 60+ miles within 24 hours, more than double of what I've ran. Hats off to their tenacity and endurance. The whole crew went out for breakfast after leaving Epic. One thing was noticeable: those that ran 30 +/- miles and were walking/running fine (Jim, Josh, Kate, Jessica, and I), and those who were moving with two legs in crawling speed.

There can never be enough "thank you" to those who made my epic weekend possible -- Coach Patty and first-time RD Joseph Parker, all my friends whom I am blessed with, and all the volunteers who donated their time and effort in these events.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I