Skip to main content

Re-entry

Re-entry is tougher than I anticipated. It’s not a stretch to say that this is actually the toughest time thus far. Perhaps it was because the things I saw and experienced were far more than what I prepared myself to. I didn’t expect to see mothers and children sleeping at our gate overnight to line up for clinic. I didn’t expect to see 60 struggling children cramped in a very tight space, knowing that this was still far better than the living situation they came from. I didn’t expect to see five year-olds as tiny as one-year-olds, and not knowing whether they’d make it to the next day or not. I saw a man carrying a little black wooden casket one day and my heart sinked. Reading through the information about the ministry and the project is one thing, seeing and living with it on a day-to-day basis is another.

I still have flashbacks of different moments in our trip. They come and go. I could be talking to someone in this instance and found myself drifted away by memories the next. To say the least, this keeps my attitude and reality in check. It reminds me that there is more “reality” out there than what is right in front of me.

To let such an experience be only memories would be a terrible waste. I’d like to believe that it is God’s way for equipping me for all good works (2 Tim. 3:17). Pro Bono, for the greater good.

Snapped this while having a little worship time on the balcony. It was the day before we left and we were just having some down times. I treasure the moments we get to just be with one another, chat, and connect through worship. These are the moments I’d remember for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...