Skip to main content

Day 1 in Cassale, Haiti

39 degrees, mosquito bites, slightly less bumpy roads - I am in Haiti again!

Departed at 6 in the morning from home, the first thing on my agenda is to get my TN visa. It’s the same drill: tell the immigration officer I need a TN visa, gave me a yellow board, signaled me to go through the second inspection office, had my fingerprints taken, then wait. A girl from Jordan was already waiting in the room. When the officer called me up for questions regarding my visa, she was simutaneously being “investigated” by the officer next to mine. I got my visa; she got a refused entry. Perhaps she could get by with a one-way ticket into the States if she’s not from Jordan? The officer was suspicious about her intention of becoming an illegal immigrant. Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I got my visa, I instinctively followed the officer’s instruction to exit through a set of doors on the side.

Many mission teams were waiting at Miami to board the same plane to Port-au-Prince. We saw at least five teams who all wore the same t-shirts, and probably a lot more teams there which, like us, didn’t have synchronized apparels.

Port-au-Prince’s airport is the size of a warehouse, like a big box retail. We passed though a kiosk to get our passport stamped then met immediately by the two baggage belts. Many Haitians offered us their help. We tried to say no, but they were persistent. We walked out of the airport with three cart loads of luggages like we just shopped at Costco to feed 200 people.

Real Hope for Haiti, the medical ministry which we are serving is an hour and a half away from the airport. Sounds like far, but it really is not. It could possibly be a half-an-hour drive back home on a paved highway. Anyhow, we arrived safely. That was our first day.


Popular posts from this blog


Three days after my first 50 miler, the OSS/CIA 50M held at Prince William Forest Park, my legs are feeling great while my body is still catching up in recovery. The funny thing is, even though I ran almost twice the distance of a marathon, I felt much better than how I was after my last two road marathons. The slower pace and the softness of trails is much more forgiving than the hard pounding on asphalt/concrete. I was even able to run a couple easy miles to test my legs yesterday.
The OSS/CIA 50M Night Run by Athletic Equation was held at Prince William Forest Park in Dumries, VA, about 1.5 hour north of Richmond. Two things lured me into signing up for my first miler: One is obviously to get at least one 50-miler in before my attempt at the WV Trilogy this fall. Two is the location of the run. The Park is the birth place of OSS, the predecessor to CIA in the 1930s. On the brink of war, U.S. intelligence operations needed a centralized effort. In response to the need, a team of un…

24 Things about Hinson Lake 24-Hr Ultra

Here are things that went through my mind during the 24-hour run, somewhat chronologically:
"I get a decal, a glass, and a shirt!?" "Where's Peter?" Peter came the night before and set up camps. Sometimes I think he's gifted with 48 hours a day."Wow. People actually do plan to run the whole duration.""Mt. Hinson?" There's a section of the course with a slight incline. I'm sure it's a fitting name at some point approaching 100 miles. I didn't give myself a chance to find out."Haha" - upon hearing someone telling Sharon and I that we are on pace for women's 24-Hour American Record at mile 3."Maybe I should switch to my hybrid shoes." And I did. After the first 13 miles, I switched from my Altra road shoes to the Inov-8 TerraFly for a little more tread."25.84 miles? Eh, so close." 17 laps on the 1.52-mile loop - not quite a marathon."30.4 miles? Eh, another lap to make it a 50k."&q…

WV Trilogy - Part 1

My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results.

Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it.

(Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm - 
In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has for me and remember that I'…