Skip to main content

God, architecture, and culture

My thoughts were still lingering on architecture and culture this morning. In Cairo Museum, we saw a lot of coffins. Each of them has painting of some guardian creatures with wings covering a large amount of surface to symbolize protection. Our tour guide pointed out that the Ark of covenant employed the same kind of symbolism. In 1 King:

Then the priests brought the ark of the covenant of the Lord to its place in the inner sanctuary of the house, in the Most Holy Place, underneath the wings of the cherubim. (1 King 8:6)
Between these wings, the Lord met and spoke with Moses (Num. 7:89; Ex. 25:22), and between these wings was the mercy seats where God promised to appear (Leviticus 16:2). These symbols would mean nothing if the receiving end doesn’t click. But of course the Israelites understood these Egyptian symbols for living in Egypt for generations and being assimilated into their culture. God could and was willing to use pagan symbols to get His message across.

The ten plague teaches a similar lesson. Each of them is targeted to take down a pagan god of the Egyptians, like the cobra and the sun. By “speaking” their language, God showed them He is not some new god, but He is the God that is bigger than all of their deities since day one. No one compares to Yahweh.

The Gospel of John tells us that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word became flesh (John 1). Jesus didn’t come to abolish the law because He is the same God yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Misunderstood by the Pharisees, Jesus used the analogy of the temple, knowing its significance in Jewish culture. But Jesus was referring to Himself - the Jews missed the boat. This is good example of getting the form right but the heart wrong.

Today, we could worship our earthly deities in these black box concert hall, theatre, and auditorium; nonetheless, God could use any of these to get His message across. Everything belongs to the Lord and He could reclaim and renew everything. Throughout history, the unchanging God never fails to lower Himself to our level and to speak our language in order to reach us lowly beings. Who are we to say to others that they have to raise up to our standard and/or culture in order to be reached by God and to worship God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I