Skip to main content

Corporate Cup Half Reflection

Some Pharisees and some Herodians want to trap Jesus by asking him difficult questions. They came to Jesus and asked, "Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?" (Mark 12:14) In their minds, rejecting to pay tax entails a rebellion against Caesar and willingness to pay tax suggests a compromised devotion to God. To their dismay, Jesus looked at a denarius, a Roman small silver coin, and asked, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" They answered, "Caesar's." Then Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." (Mark 13:17) When Jesus looks at you, what image will he see? God's? Or Caesar's?

The Sunday Long Run Crew was well represented.
Corporate Cup half marathon happened last Saturday. I woke up at 5:30 a.m., put on my race gear, fetched everything I needed, and drove uptown to check in for the race. My mind was consumed with everything centered around the race, up till the moment when we toed the line and the announcer asked all 3000+ of us to bow our heads. All of a sudden I felt a change in my heart. All morning I was running around and had forgotten the most important thing! He thanked God for our ability to run and asked God for His protection. The prayer was simple but effective. It drew my attention from the creation (running) back to the Creator. 

I think our lives are made up of many different facets. There's not one thing and/or one role that could describe all of me. Running is one of the facets and I pray that it reflects an image of God.

I'm done! (credit: Bevin)
The half marathon turned out to be a lot of fun. I went out at a sustainable pace and kept in mind that the second half of the course was hill-heavy. Like most races, I was afraid to pick up the pace and leave nothing in the tank for the last couple miles. While most elevation gains happened between mile 10 and 13, the rolling hills and graduate climbs were evenly spaced across the course, which, in my opinion, kept the course enjoyable. I finished in 1:41:55, an unexpected PR and a great run with friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...