Skip to main content

Healing

Today marks the one-week anniversary of my trail tumble during which I torn my my shoulder and the peroneal longus tendon/muscle and put me out of commission. Taking away running and swimming is a painful thing, especially when these two things account for the biggest chunk of my time aside from sleeping and working. Other than feeling like a depleted balloon for the next two days after the fall, I wondered if God was trying to get my attention and teach me something. Like a loving parent, sometimes He does withhold something we care deeply for our sake. Maybe I've (once again) put too much emphasis of my life in physical training rather than spiritual?

As I pray for my own healing, I thought about Jesus' miracles in the New Testament. My favorite healing story is found in Luke 5. Jesus was preaching in a fully packed house while a group of friends tried to deliver their paralytic friend to Jesus. "Finding no way to bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles..." That's probably not something one would do unless s/he is absolutely certain that it is going to work and Jesus really has to power to heal. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to him, "Man, your sins are forgiven you" (Luke 5:19). Sin? Puzzling, right? Jesus unpacked it by explaining so "...you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Luke 5:24). The man rose up immediately, picked up what he had been lying on and went home, glorifying God.
Whether my mishap is directly related to my personal sins, I think there's always a lesson to be learned since God is sovereign in all things. The time-out I had from not being able to run in the last couple days gave me room to evaluate and re-align my life. Borrowing from Jeremy Lin who quoted from John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life, what I need to strive for is to "display His supreme excellence in all the spheres of life," and be careful not to replace the Creator with creation (running, swimming, work, or what have you).

Earlier today, I was back at the pool and were able to do some freestyle (though not entirely pain free). It was nice to feel my arm pulling through the water once again and with full appreciation that it is no small miracle.

"Pick up your bed and sin no more."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...