Skip to main content

Hugo

I love inspiration movies. Stories about dreams and passions, meaning and purpose, and courage and perseverance. I suspect a lot of people like them too since Hollywood keeps making them. They reminds us our dreams, give us the license to pursue our dreams, and perhaps ignites in us what has died. The new movie by Martin Scorsese, Hugo, however, is different. It's not about a boy finding his dreams. Rather, it's about a boy finding his purpose in restoring another person's dream. Hugo is a boy skilled in machinery and clockwork. From his point of view from the clock tower, the city works like a machine. And he knows there's no spare part in a machine. Each part has its purpose. An abandoned boy as he is, he believes that he is part of this world and thus has a purpose. What he hasn't pointed out explicitly in the movie is that each machine has a designer. Parts don't fall together by chance and become machines and clocks. There is no spare part because someone has designed and engineered it carefully with its purpose in mind.

Do we believe that we have a purpose? I do. Because like a machine, I know I have a Designer and the Designer has a purpose in mind when He created me. Only then meaning and purpose are not arbitrary, they have a Source. And only then we could have a purpose and meaning.

One might argue that it is my wishful thinking and desire for purpose that lead me to believe there is a Designer. In response, I must ask, what's the alternative? The alternative is that there is no purpose and meaning to our existence. Is that what we experience in our daily lives? Without a Designer, there will also be either no values like good and evil or these values are mere human constructs. In other words, killing a baby is as desirable as nurturing one. Is that so?

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
(Romans 1:20 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...