Skip to main content

Sun rise on the evil and the good

Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? -Ezekiel 18:23
Once a person passes from life to death, his/her eternity is set. No "but;" no turning back. God made it clear that He does not rejoice in "the death of the wicked." In fact, "if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die." This reminds me of an objection to Christianity we hear a lot. How is it fair that a murderer could convert at the last moment of his/her life and go to heaven, while a "good" person who never kills anyone, a caring neighbor, a faithful husband/wife, and a loving father/mother goes to hell for not believing in Jesus? Well, this is how grace works. Salvation is offered to anyone; but everyone also has the choice to accept and reject such offer. God's grace is available to all, including those whom we think do not deserve it. At the end of the day, nobody deserves heaven. It's like we all got a "F," a fail grade, on heaven's entrance exam. It doesn't matter whether I am a mark off, or 49. I still failed. And if the Teacher decided to pardon all fail grades, then all are pardoned. Frankly, we are not even in the position to protest since we, too, failed.

To believe that Osama, like us, is also created in the image of God and is loved by God without partiality is a hard one to swallow. Following the logic above, if Osama had a chance to repent his sins and believe that Jesus had come to die for him, he would be saved as well. This is even harder to swallow, isn't it?

Perhaps we rejoice in our enemy's death because we do not see our own depravity. Like the thief on the cross beside Jesus. "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve." (Luke 23:41) But the one who "has done nothing wrong" died on the cross to pay for our sins in order that we may "be with [Him] in Paradise" (Luke 23:43).

Am I relieved that lots of innocent lives are saved from potential harm as a result of Osama's death? Yes, I am. Shall we celebrate? I am doubtful. Remember how we felt when we saw Palestinians celebrated 9/11, dancing on the street and showing signs of victory?
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. -Matthew 5:44-45

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...