Skip to main content

Lately

After months of anticipation, I finally called off my Peru trip with Climbing for Christ due to the spike in airfare. While disappointed, it seemed like the right thing to do. That was two Mondays ago. Wednesday of the same week, I was contacted by an eMI Project leader regarding a new project in Haiti, to masterplan and design some first phase buildings for a ministry which includes medical, education, feeding programs, crisis care, evangelism, and discipleship. Since I have been preparing to go on a mission trip and flights to Haiti is much more affordable, everything is in place for me to accept the timely invitation. Interestingly enough, this project also needs fundraising materials to be put together. Since leaving the SIL, the campus newspaper at Mac, I have been aching to take my camera and pick up my notepad and pen to write some stories. Perhaps this is my chance to do so. Brad, the leader of this project, just notified my today that my ticket to Haiti in June is purchased and confirmed. This will be my third time in two years. I really should pick up my French textbook again.

On a completely different note, I am ready to run my first trail race and my first race after my Achilles injury back in Janrary which put me out for two whole months. Rather than reporting how good it is to be back at running, what I want to say is how much of a blessing the past two to three months have been.  I got the chance to think about why I run, put my piorities back in order, and the hiatus forced me back to the pool, which turned out to be a blast. Swimming with SwimMac, a US Masters Swimming group,  has been so much fun, despite the fact that I am swimming half the speed of all the former college swimmers. As a lap swimmer, I never realize how technical this sport is. Now I do. My input personality has been put to good use lately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...