Skip to main content

Lifeboat ethics and reflection

Reading The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten, a book of thought experiments illustrating philosophical and ethical problems, I found this lifeboat metaphor that goes something like this:

You are one of the 10 on a lifeboat that holds 15, fully equipped with food and resources. Since the rescue mission is already one its way and expects to reach your lifeboat within 24 hours, the captain of the lifeboat (if there is such a thing) suggests that all of you can just relax, and take your portion of supplies, or even a little more if necessary. While everyone is nodding in agreement, you see some distance away there are people still in the water waiting to get on a lifeboat. A good person that you are, you raise your hand and asked: “Why don’t we paddle over there and save a couple more people on our boat?” Some seem to be offended by your suggestion and look to the Captain. The Captain in his infinite wisdom replies, “Well, it is not our fault that they have not been rescued, nor is it our fault that caused the ship wreck in the first place. I say we stay put the way we are, and keep the extra for our own safety.”

To take this even further, even if the Captain, along with the rest of your shipmates agree to rescue, which of the five out of the 10, 100, or 1000 would you rescue, and why? And should you just rescue another 5? Or as many as your boat could fit even though there would not be enough supplies for all? And should you rescue until the boat sinks? That way, everyone is equal; and justice is served.

This metaphor hits home for me not only because it illustrates the injustice of rich and poor in our world today. Obviously, the people on the lifeboat with more than enough supplies represent us, the majority in the Western world; and those who are still in open water fighting for survival are the improvised, the poor, and the needy. While I appalled at the Captain’s response, I am convicted by the fact that I am the same. It’s not that I don’t have enough to give; I am not giving as much as I should because I am keeping the extra for myself.

“Israel has sinned; they have transgressed my covenant that I commanded them; they have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen and lied and put them among their own belongings.” -Joshua 7:11

In the Old Testament, the Lord is giving Jericho into the hands of Israel, with one condition: “keep yourselves from the things devoted to destruction, lest when you have devoted them you take any of the devoted things and make the camp of Israel a thing for destruction and bring trouble upon it” (Joshua 6:18). Though the situation is different, the moral is the same: Are we keeping things that are not meant for us to keep?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlands Sky

I probably wouldn't admit how stressed I was the whole week leading up to Highlands Sky 40. Now that it's over, I realized I was partly in denial and partly rationalizing it as healthy nervousness. A 40-mile race is long for me. It's technical. And I pulled my lat muscle carrying a handheld bottle a week before the race. I am out of my comfort zone. At the start As everything in this world that is governed by time, the race is bound to happen like an unstoppable incoming train. A line from Bridges of Spies came to mind the evening before the race. When his lawyer James Donovan observes the alleged Russian Spy Rudolf Abel doesn't seem a bit nervous about his pending trial, he asks him about it and to which Abel responds: "Is it going to help?" Of the many things that I am concerned about the race, weather isn't one of them. We start the race in cool mountain temperature and I find myself nestle in the crowd, just going with the flow. There are dist...

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I...

Georgia Jewel Weekend

My last-minute decision to run the Georgia Jewel 35-miler last weekend turns out to be a good one. A group of friends had made plans and arrangements to go, running all distances: 35, 50, and 100! Everything was in place, I couldn't pass up the fun to run with old friends and meet new ones, and see Sully running a difficult 100! A storm was passing through on Saturday and it was torrential downpour from the start at 5 a.m.! The first 10 miles through the "rock garden" was difficult for me. It was hard to see through the heavy rain and fog in the dark with my glasses and crappy headlamp (Lesson learned: I'm investing in a better headlamp - it's worth it). Sky lightened up after the first 10 miles and we also got to run on smoother single-tracks. I was able to pick up my pace a bit and caught up with a few that passed me during the Rock Garden. Unlike the point-to-point 50-miler, the 35-miler was an out-and-back. During the return trip, some sections of the tra...